Despite all of the dire predictions of the demise of email marketing, what the evidence shows is the fact it’s still a vital component of your online marketing, now and also for the foreseeable future. As per Sign-Up.to’s 2013 UK Email Marketing Benchmark Report, there’s been a strong increase in average email open rates, rising from 18.35 percent to 21.47 percent in the last 12 months. Moreover, the average return on your email marketing investment is currently an impressive $44.25 for each dollar spent.
So how do you to take advantage of this?
Here are 5 easy tips to get your email marketing efforts heading in the right direction!
- Write awesome subject lines – Your subject lines actually do matter, as your open rates will attest if you gloss over this part. Make sure you do the necessary work to fashion a subject line that makes people open your email! This is usually a combination of curiosity, emotion, relevance and urgency. Make sure you check for spam compliancy as well.
- Write engaging content – Make certain your emails are not just written to engage, but they are also providing great content unique to your brand. Over-deliver when it comes to handing out pearls of wisdom, as that is presumably why they’re subscribed to and following you in the first place, correct?
- Put in social media share buttons – very easy to do, and also easy to forget to do, this is a great way to spread your emails around, especially those brimming with your best content. Put these buttons in there and encourage your users to use them. You will often gain new opt-ins the easy way!
- Send mobile-friendly emails – Given that 64 percent of decision makers read their email on their mobile device, and the average person checks their smartphone some 34 times a day, do you need any more convincing to make your emails mobile friendly?
- Mail more often – This one is sometimes counter-intuitive. We don’t want to keep sending messages that people don’t want. True, if you’re selling every email, or worse, delivering spam. Instead, keep delivering amazing content that is building your brand. Copyblogger reports that your unsubscribes actually decrease if you’re mailing more regularly, with good content.